jueves, 1 de octubre de 2015

Task 2: My Autobiography.


Although in my family there are three or more educators, I have never see myself as a teacher. I have three uncles which are teachers of E.P. and English. Moreover, there are other people from my family who are and were teachers as well, but I can't remember all of them because my family is excessively big.

Since I was 1 year old, I lived in Bogota. Over there the education was and is really different. I had learned and advance a lot in lecture and handwriting. But at that moment English was not so important for schools. At the age of seven, I went to Neiva and the level of education was no as good as Bogota. However and unfortunately, I do not remember any English class during my primary education. The only thing that I remember is when I have to decorate a church because we were learning this word. Additionally the teacher who was with us was the science teacher.

At secondary school, there was only one or two hour of English and de classes were not dynamic. English teachers always left us to play some simple exercises. In some and a few classes, they give us a short story to read, translate and answer its questions. But I enjoy trying to get the main idea.  
On the other hand, since I was a child I have liked the music and the art and I wanted to study something related to this. When I started to study at secondary school, I also started to like English. I really enjoyed reading short stories and trying to get the main idea. Moreover, I always like the music, so I continuo listening to English music, in order to comprehend better the messages and to learn new vocabulary. In that way I decided to study something related to English. 

When I was finishing my university studies, my first job was in a pre-school center and I was doing my teaching practices as well. In that moment I started to learn what the real teaching process was. Actually I did not like little kids at all so, I had to learn how to be patient and love them as well. At that moment and realized that I could take of advantage from music and art and craft to teach English to little kids. Moreover kid's attention is too short so I had to plan many and different activities to catch their attention during the whole class. After that moment I try to implement music, games, role plays, art and craft and others into my classes in order to motivate the students, especially with young learners.

The last three years, I have been teaching at secondary school. This has been a real challenge for me because children are more joyful and really enjoy learning. But most of adolescents do not like study or like to do nothing. So I had to reflect on what can I do in order to catch their attention and motivate them and what kind of activities they enjoy. Nowadays, I implemented another strategy which are the online games according to what we are working.

Thinking about most of my classes which I fail sometimes and others were successful, I could said that I always reflect on what I am doing at the moment and what can I do in that moment to help those students who has a low proficiency. In most of the cases I try to have a plan b or sometimes, depending on the situation I have had to improvise.

Finally, I am doing my MA at Universidad Surcolombiana and it has given to me more clear ideas to implement into my sessions. Many people believe that teachers only go to school, teach in a class and relax. But we as teachers have to study as well year by year in order to improve our profession and to innovate. Also is really important to reflect on what we are doing in order to know what we can do at next. 


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario